Tuesday 6 May 2014

The joy of shopping with a child in tow





Have you ever experienced the above with a toddler whilst shopping. With a long list of jobs to do this is not what I needed. 

So I totally had a choice, get really cross with said horizontal child and get both him and myself upset, or attempt some positive parenting. 

I gave him a choice, "would you like to get up off the floor by yourself, or shall I help you get off the floor?"  He said he'd like me to help me get him off the floor. This also indicated that he just wanted my attention as he knew I was distracted by trying to get through my list of shopping which is so not fun really for a three year old.

This time I had a choice, I could carry on shopping and risk the same thing happening again in five minutes time (but tick some jobs off my list) or I could listen to my son. Realising I wasn't going to be able to finish list we comprised on going for a hot chocolate the home. 

I didn't get much of my shopping done, but at least the situation got diffused pretty quickly and we still had a nice afternoon. 

The lesson I learnt today is to make smaller lists when I have my son in tow, and enjoy the time I have with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment